I know I can’t be the only crazy pet owner that spoils their dog, so I thought I’d share a few of my favorite doggy essentials. These are products we've actually tried and would rate with two paws up.
- "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Millan
I highly recommend this book to any dog owner. Cesar (also known as the Dog Whisperer) provides a great understanding of how dogs think and how to use that thinking to train your dog. The book has totally changed the way I relate to my dog. Cesar explains that many people make the mistake of treating their dog like a little person (guilty as charged), but to have a better behaved dog, they should instead work with their dog's natural insticts and provide them with the types of things that dogs value instead (like exercise).
- Dog Bowl Set with Stand
I couldn't find the exact bowls I have online, but this one is really similar to the ones we use (ours are just plain green instead of having the paw print pattern). I like have both the water and food dish in the same place and the stand keeps the bowls steady while the dog is eating, instead of having the bowl scoot across the floor while he's trying to eat.
- Dematting Brush
Schnauzers don't shed at all so instead they must be groomed and get fur-cuts every so often. This also means that their fur has a tendency of getting matted, particularly around their legs and belly. If you've ever tried to brush a matted dog, you know that it's not fun for the dog or the human. I've tried several brushes and this brush is the best I've come across for removing mats. Its curved design cuts through tangles, making it more tolerable for the dog because it can brush the dog without pulling their fur.
- Doggy Pen
Okay, so this isn't really a necessity, but I got one of these pens as a gift and they are really cute! Plus, it's actually writes very nicely.
- Doggy Luggage Tag So this is another one that I don't really need, but I saw this at Petsmart the other day and it is super cute!
- Doggy Fleece Our pup got this fleece as a gift this year and I can't wait until colder weather for him to wear it. Since he's a relatively little guy with short hair, he actually enjoys wearing sweaters to keep him warm in the winter. I like the argyle print of this sweater because it's versatile and he can dress it up with a tie or dress it down with a pair of jeans (just kidding!).
- Bacon Treats Of course every pet loves treats and these our one of our pup's favorites. Lucky for us, they are pretty inexpensive and a bag usually runs us less than $1.50.
- Slicker Brush When a dematting brush isn't necessary and our pup just needs a short comb through to keep his hardo looking just right, we use this basic brush. It's cheap, easy to use, and the dog doesn't protest too much over it.
So those are our doggy must-haves. If you're a dog owner, what kind of dog do you have and are there any essential products you love?