I am long overdue in sharing some updates for how last year’s New Diyears resolution to-do list went. Despite my delay in updates on what went down last year, I surprisingly got a lot of my to-do list done. One of my checked off items is sewing new family room pillows.
I wanted to bring in the color green as an accent in my family room so I started by sewing new pillows. I found a fun green pattern print at Joann Fabrics and bought a couple of yards, using a 40% off coupon of course, and got to work.
This was my first time sewing pillows from scratch since probably middle school, but I’m happy at how the results turned out. I wanted to make sure these pillows would be durable so I sewed an insert pillow out of cheap white fabric first and then used the green fabric to make the pillow covers. I sewed an envelope style back so the pillow inserts could be slipped out and the covers could be washed if needed. I made sure to wash and dry the green fabric before sewing to ensure the fabric didn’t shrink during future washes.
I think the pillows are pretty cute and they are comfy too. I even got a pup stamp of approval. (Although he’s giving me a look like “stop with the paparazzi, I’m trying to snooze here.”)
They do make a good make for a good napping spot.
The pillows go well with the argyle sweater pillow I sewed last winter too.
And they match perfectly with the quatrefoil tray I painted for the family room too.
I think with these pillows, and the vintage tea towel pillow and placement pillows I made last year, I can safely cross off “sew new pillows” from my to-do list!